Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Chalk Paint Dresser Transformation

You may remember this armoire makeover from last year that was for my granddaughter.

Earlier this summer I transformed a dresser for my oldest granddaughter--she got a new baby sister (and a new bedroom!) and had to give up the changing table/dresser that had housed her clothes up to then.  (And yes, I know I am a little late sharing this--just ignore the date stamp on the photos.)

I found an old oak dresser that had seen better days.  However, I knew a little paint could work wonders.






 As usual, I forgot to take pics until I had already started painting so I don't have a before pic of the dresser front.  But you can see from the drawers and the side that someone was very sloppy with some paint at some point in time.

There was one drawer handle missing.  It originally had two handles on each of the small top drawers.  This seemed like overkill, so I filled the original holes with matchsticks and wood putty and drilled new holes to put the handles in the center.  That solved the problem of the missing handle.


 The brass pulls were really darkened with tarnish.

 
  I hesitated to try to clean them because I did not want a shiny, brassy finish on them.  I gave them a quick rubdown with a DIY salt/vinegar mixture and it removed enough of the tarnish to brighten them without removing all of the patina.



I ended up using three coats of paint on the dresser to get the coverage I wanted.  Then I distressed it with sandpaper.  Hubby still doesn't understand why I bother to paint things, only to remove it later.  ;)  But you understand, don't you?

I don't know how some folks can get complete coverage with only one coat of the chalk paint.  Maybe I brush mine out more than they do because I need two or three coats to cover completely.






Just look at those gorgeous trim pieces!  The paint and distressing show off the details of it so well. I love the way it turned out. 

The mirror and harp were missing from the dresser, so I painted an old oval mirror to match.  Here is a pic of it lying on top of the dresser.



With this distressed finish, no need to worry about a 2-yr-old being a little rough opening/closing drawers, etc.  It will just add a bit more character.  :)   
I really do like using the homemade chalk paint as you don't need to worry about having a perfect surface to start with.


 So what do you think?  
Have you transformed anything with homemade chalk paint?
 ____________________________

Oh, by the way, here are the two sweethearts involved with this story--had to share their sweetness with you!  These first three pics were in June.  My first try at a "photo shoot" with my new DSLR camera and make-do backdrops.




The following were in September.  I have been practicing and trying to soak up as much info as I can on photography.   I think I am slowly improving--there's so much to learn.




Just a random one--I know Mommy's hands are in the background...but I couldn't pass up that expression!  Don't you just want to kiss that sad little face?
If anyone has any photo tips to share, please do...I want to learn!  I would love to make this more than a hobby.


_______________________________________



You may find me linking up at:

Knick of Time  Vintage Inspiration Party
Someday Crafts    Whatever Goes Wednesday
French Country Cottage   Feathered Nest Friday
Common Ground   The Marketplace
Funky Junk Interiors  Party Junk

No comments:

Post a Comment