Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Nursery Armoire Makeover

I've been meaning to write a post on this furniture makeover I recently finished--it was for my new granddaughter's nursery.  My first try at homemade chalk paint too.

I love the way it turned out...wasn't sure when I started just how it would end up.  It is not an old piece--it's a Broyhill armoire.  It was a little rough--it had seen many years of use throughout my d-i-l's family...however, I could tell there was potential there.

I sanded and puttied some of the worst problems areas but did not want to take all of the character away from the wood.  I knew I would be doing a distressed finish so a few nicks and bumps would be ok.

I forgot to take a "before" pic--why do I always forget?  Guess I'm usually anxious to get into things and don't think of it...so here is a pic after prepping...





I had to sand quite a bit to lessen some of the gouges and dents in the doors and drawers...I did not sand the entire thing as I wanted to test the "chalk paint" method of no sanding required.  Which worked...however, I did need three coats to get the coverage I was looking for...not one, like some folks say they do... 


So here is the finished project...

 Quite a lovely change, if I say so myself...I think the little wreaths add a cute little touch to it...


  I am declaring this project a success...haven't gotten the approval from Baby Ava yet, but she can't talk yet...
Let me know what you think of it...and any experience you may have with making your own chalk paint...any tips would be appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. This turned out so cute! Love the little wreaths you put on it, very lovely touch!

    ReplyDelete