Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

Easy Refrigerator Pickles -- Yummm!

Summer's bounty--what to do with it?

One of my favorite recipes is Refrigerator Pickles--so easy and oh so good!



 Just slice up your cukes and onions and layer them in a large jar.  Mix your brine, heat it and pour over the veggies.  Wait a few days and then devour.  How easy is that?



My family loves these pickles--including my two-year-old granddaughter. 

I usually plant bush cucumbers so they don't produce the large slicer cucumbers.  You will want to pick smaller cukes before they develop the large seeds inside; but you want them large enough to slice into nice rings--not gherkin sized.

I usually use sweet onions (Vidalia or such).  I don't plant my own onions so I usually have the sweet ones on hand for my general cooking purposes.  These are yummy when they are pickled too--not super strong.

I use old gallon jars for these pickles.  Some of the lids are a little worn inside so I just line them with waxed paper like my mom used to when reusing old jars for storage.

I also have some half-gallon jars I saved from store-bought kosher dill pickles.  They are just the right size--the layers will fill the jar nicely.  As the pickles wilt down, you will end up with a finished product about half the size.  

I usually make multiple batches of these as the summer progresses so I can give to my sons' families and also have a couple jars in our spare frig in the garage.  These will keep for a long time so you can enjoy pickles in the months ahead.  I know the recipe says to store them for one month--they keep just fine for a much longer period.  After all, they are pickled.


One other thing I do that makes the recipe quick and easy is to use refrigerated minced garlic.  I always have that in my frig--I don't usually do fresh garlic.  It works as a quick substitute in this recipe.

Try a batch and enjoy!
_____________________________________________

Easy Refrigerator Pickles


  • 6 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
  • 2 cups thinly sliced onion
  • 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup sugar 
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

Preparation

  1. Place 3 cups cucumber in a medium glass bowl; top with 1 cup onion. Repeat procedure with the remaining 3 cups cucumber and remaining 1 cup onion.
  2. Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 4 days.
  3. Note: Pickles may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.

Original recipe from Cooking Light

 Note:  You can leave the crushed red pepper flakes out if you don't want them to have a "bite" to them.
_______________________________________

 What's your favorite pickle recipe?  Please share it with us!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. I may just give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good Maureen and oh, so easy! Thanks for visiting...smiles and sunshine...Bev

      Delete