Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

One of My Favorite Antique Finds

One of my favorite antique finds is the old general store coffee box I was lucky enough to stumble upon.  See when I bought it, I did not know it was a coffee box.

I was at a country estate auction and was bidding on an old wooden bin that sported chippy white paint.  This was the estate of our friend's grandparents and he told us he remembered his grandma storing quilts in this bin in the attic for years.

Well, I was the lucky bidder at somewhere around $30.  When I got the box home, I decided to try to scrape the old paint off, intending to just repaint it.  As I started scraping, I started seeing old mustard paint peeking through.  Then some black stenciling was revealed.

Needless to say, I started getting excited as to what I may find when all the paint was removed.  I carefully continued scraping and finally revealed this beauty.


Believe it or not, that paint is untouched, original condition.  The only thing I did was protect it with a layer of paste wax.  The layer of white paint protected the original finish during the years spent in the attic and I was able to scrape off that layer without damaging the stenciling or mustard paint underneath!

This is one of my best finds in my many years of treasure hunting.  I found this link to a Luxury Coffee Box that sold in 2005 at auction.  The paint on it shows a lot of wear.  Makes me wonder what price mine might bring?  However, I don't intend to sell it so I'll just continue to wonder.

What kind of treasures have you stumbled upon?  Please share in the comment section below.

 __________________________________

You may find me linking up at:

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a find... I cannot believe how great it looks after taking a coat of paint off... It is amazing how great the letters look.. and the yellow paing..wow! You are so right, great find~ enjoy! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing find! Happy to see that you were able to restore it to its original beauty. Love it! Thanks for sharing and for visiting:-)

    ReplyDelete